Ghada M. Gad, PhD
Associate Professor of Construction Engineering
Assistant Professor of Construction Engineering
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Department of Civil Engineering
Pomona, CA 91767
Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, Construction Engineering, 2013.
M.S., Construction Engineering, American University in Cairo, Egypt, 2009.
Diploma, Construction Engineering, American University in Cairo, Egypt, 2004.
B.S., Construction Engineering, American University in Cairo, 2003.
Areas of Expertise
Project Delivery Methods
Dispute Resolution Methods
Social aspects of construction projects
Senior Contracts Administrator, Procurement Department, Power Generation Engineering & Services Company (PGESCo)- Bechtel Subsidiary, Cairo, Egypt, May 2006 – December 2008; Project Coordinator, Cairo International Airport Terminal Building 3, Alico-Egypt, Cairo, Egypt, January 2006 – April 2006; Planning Engineer, AUC, Cairo, Egypt, January 2004 – December 2004
Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, August. 2019 – current;
Visiting Scholar, Viterbi Sonny Astani Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Southern California, August 2019- May 2020;
Assistant Professor in Construction Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, USA, September 2015 – July 2019;
Assistant Professor, Department of Construction Management, Bowling Green State University (BGSU), USA, August 2012 – August 2015
Co-Principal Investigator, NCHRP Synthesis: Legal Issues and Strategies for Best-Value Procurement for Highway Construction, NCHRP Project 20-06/Topic 25-06, 2021 – current.
Consultant, “Quantifying the Impacts of Delayed Maintenance of Airport Assets”, ACRP 09-20, 2021 – current
Principal Investigator, “Managing Enhanced Risk in the Mega Project Era”, NCHRP 20-06/Topic 25-03, 2020 – 2021.
Co-Principal Investigator, ACRP Synthesis: Legal Issues Relating to Large Scale Airport Construction Projects”, ACRP Project ACRP 11-01/Topic 10-02, 2017 – 2018.
Co-Principal Investigator, “Improving Mid-Term, Intermediate, and Long-Range Cost Forecasting: Guidance for State Departments of Transportation” NCHRP Project 10-101, 2018 – 2020
Co-Principal Investigator, “Guidelines for Managing Geotechnical Risks in Design-Build Projects”, NCHRP Project 24-44, 2015 – 2017.
Co-Principal Investigator, “Alternate Technical Concepts for Contract Delivery Methods”, NCHRP Project 44-09, 2012 – 2013.
Co-Principal Investigator, “Risk Based Engineers Estimate”, Minnesota Department of Transportation, 2012 – 2014.
Co-Principal Investigator, “A Guidebook for Implementing Alternative Technical Concepts into Project Delivery Methods”, NCHRP Project 08-112, 2017 – 2019.
Postdoctoral Research Associate, NCHRP 10-83 “Alternative Quality Management Systems for Highway Construction” project, May 2012 – July 2012.
- Shrestha, P., Davis, B. and Gad, M. (2020). “Investigation of Legal Issues in Construction-Manager-at-Risk Projects: Case Study of Airport Projects” , ASCE Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution.
- Gad, M. , Davis, B., Shrestha, P., and Fathi, M. (2020). “Legal and Contractual Issues in Lump-Sum Design-Build Implementation on Large-Scale Airport Projects” , ASCE Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution. 12(1)
- Gad, G. M., Davis, B., and Shrestha, P. (2019), “Lessons Learned from Progressive Design-Build Implementation on Airport Projects”. Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction, ASCE
- Attallah, S., Gad, G. M., and Zhang, Y. (2019) “Modeling the Environmental Impact of Sustainability Policies in the Construction Industry using Agent Based Simulation and Life Cycle Analysis. Urban Studies and Public Administration
- Castro-Nova, I, Gad, G. M., Touran, A., Cetin, B., Gransberg, D. (2018). “Evaluating the Influence of Differing Geographical Risk Perceptions on Design-Build Highway Projects” ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Part A: Civil Engineering, 4(4)
- Hasanzadeh, S., Esmaeili, B., Nasrollahi, S. ;and Gad G. M. (2018). “Impact of Owners’ Early Decisions on Project Performance and Dispute Occurrence in Public Highway Projects” ASCE Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction, 10(2),
- Gad, G. M. and Shane, J. S. (2017). “Culture-Risk-Trust Model for Dispute Resolution Methods’ Selection in International Construction Contracts”, Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction, ASCE.
- Gad, G. M., Shane, J. S., Strong, K. C., and Choi, J. O (2016), Rethinking Trust in Construction Contracts’ Formation: The Dispute Resolution Method Selection. Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction: Special issue on Construction Dispute Resolution. ASCE
- Gad, G. M., Gransberg, D. D. and Loulakis, M. (2015) “Policies and Procedures for Successful Implementation of Alternative Technical Concepts”, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2504, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., 2015. DOI: 10.3141/2504-10
- Gad, G. M., Adamtey, S. and Gransberg, D. D. (2015) “Trends in Quality Management Approaches to Design-Build Transportation Projects”, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2504, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., 2015. DOI: 10.3141/2504-11